This building is the oldest of Braunschweig’s schools. With the Pope’s permission, the city council was allowed to build a Latin school in each of the church parishes St. Martini and St. Katharinen in 1415. In 1828, they were merged. Since 1868, the school has borne its current name and occupied a new building in Breite Straße.
Famous students of this school include: Richard Dedekind, Carl Friedrich Gauß, August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben, Louis Spohr and the football pioneer Konrad Koch.
Breite Straße 3-4