Menu and Search (german)

On the Altstadtmarkt (Old Town Square)

The Altstadtmarkt was built during the 12th century as the centre of the purlieus Altstadt. It was purposely built in a rectangular shape, as can be seen in the spatial and architectural connection between St. Martini Church and the Altstadtrathaus (Old Town Hall) on the western side. Together with the northern wall of the Gewandhaus (Cloth Hall) and the facades of the residential and business buildings and the fountain these buildings form an impressive group on the south-eastern side.

Legend: 1. Stechinelli House/ 2. Altstadtmarkt/ 3. Marien Fountain/ 4. Gewandhaus/ 5. Altes Zoll- und Landwehrhaus/ 6. St. Martini Church/ 7. Altstadtrathaus/ 8. Martino-Katharineum / 9. Haus zu den sieben Türmen
Legend: 1. Stechinelli House/ 2. Altstadtmarkt/ 3. Marien Fountain/ 4. Gewandhaus/ 5. Altes Zoll- und Landwehrhaus/ 6. St. Martini Church/ 7. Altstadtrathaus/ 8. Martino-Katharineum / 9. Haus zu den sieben Türmen
Altstadtrathaus Stechinelli-Haus St. Martini Altstadtmarkt Altes Zoll- und Landwehrhaus Marienbrunnen Gewandhaus Gymnasium Katharineum Haus zu den sieben Türmen
Stechinelli House
Stechinelli House
Francesco Capellini, also called Stechninelli, built this house in 1690
Altstadtmarkt (Old Town Square)
Altstadtmarkt (Old Town Square)
There has been trading on this square for more than 700 years
Marien Fountain
Marien Fountain
A unique example of late Gothic craftsmanship from the year 1408
Gewandhaus (Cloth Hall)
Gewandhaus (Cloth Hall)
Formerly the storage and sales building of the distinguished cloth merchant’s guild it is today the seat of the local chamber of commerce and industry
Old Customs and Landwehr-Militia Building
Old Customs and Landwehr-Militia Building
It is a late example of the great expertise of the Braunschweig Fachwerk craftsmen which gave this Hanseatic city its character from the 15th to the 17th century.
St. Martini
St. Martini
This church was built as the parish church of the purlieus Altstadt in the 12th century.
Altstadtrathaus (Old Town Hall)
Altstadtrathaus (Old Town Hall)
One of the most impressive medieval building monuments
Martino-Katharineum
Martino-Katharineum
This oldest school in Braunschweig has its roots in the Latin schools Martineum and Katharineum that were founded in 1415.
Haus zu den sieben Türmen
Haus zu den sieben Türmen (The House of the seven Towers)
The “Haus zu den sieben Türmen” was first mentioned in 1249 – its medieval predecessor was decorated with seven small towers.

Related Links