Menu and Search (german)

Around St. Blasii Cathedral and the Burgplatz (Castle Square)

Dating back as far as the 9th century you could already find the castle of the Brunones on the Burgplatz. In the 12th century Henry the Lion built the original Dankwarderode Castle, the collegiate church St. Blasii, now the cathedral, and the Lion Statue. The neo-classical Vieweghaus as well as the many beautiful half-timbered buildings make the Burgplatz a very important historical architectural ensemble. The square still shows the original medieval ground plan.

Legend: 1. The Lion Statue / 2. Burgplatz / 3. Viewegsches Verlangshaus / 4. Huneborstelsches House, von Veltheim House / 5. Column ‘2000 Years of Christendom’ / 6. Dankwarderode Castle/ 7. Rathaus / 8. St. Blasii Cathedral / 9. Kleine Burg / 10. Stiftsherrenhäuser
Legend: 1. The Lion Statue / 2. Burgplatz / 3. Viewegsches Verlangshaus / 4. Huneborstelsches House, von Veltheim House / 5. Column ‘2000 Years of Christendom’ / 6. Dankwarderode Castle/ 7. Rathaus / 8. St. Blasii Cathedral / 9. Kleine Burg / 10. Stiftsherrenhäuser
Burglöwe Burgplatz Viewegsches Verlagshaus Huneborstelsches Haus Säule 2000 Jahre Christentum Burg Dankwarderode Rathaus Dom St. Blasii Kleine Burg Stiftsherrenhäuser
Braunschweig Lion
Braunschweig Lion
Emblem of Henry the Lion and the first freestanding monument of the Middle Ages
Burgplatz (Castle Square)
Burgplatz (Castle Square)
This was the centre of power of the Guelphs in the 12th century.
Viewegsches Verlagshaus (Vieweg Publishing House)
Viewegsches Verlagshaus (Vieweg Publishing House - today Braunschweig State Museum)
This old publishing building now hosts the Braunschweig State Museum.
Huneborstelsches House / von Veltheim House
Huneborstelsches House / von Veltheim House
This house is an example of the second building period in Braunschweig that was influenced by bourgeois art. Right next the house of family von Veltheim.
Column ‘2000 years of christendom’
Column ‘2000 years of christendom’
This nine metre high bronze column depicts the history of Christendom by combining many single sculptures.
Dankwarderode Castle
Dankwarderode Castle
This used to be the residence of Henry the Lion
Rathaus (Town Hall)
Rathaus (Town Hall)
This sign of municipal self-government was built in Neo-gothic style in 1894
St. Blasii Cathedral
St. Blasii Cathedral
This Roman three-nave basilica was built in 1173 and is the burial place of Henry the Lion and Emperor Otto IV.

Kleine Burg (Little Castle)
Kleine Burg (Little Castle)
This is one of the few preserved old streets in Braunschweig.
Stiftherrenhäuser (Canon’s Residences)
Stiftherrenhäuser (Canon’s Residences)
These canon’s residences were built in the 15th century by the monastery St. Blasii

Related Links