Menu and Search (german)

Map and List

Sights Worth Seeing

Achtermann House

Achtermann House

Very well preserved example of Braunschweig stone architecture from the 17th century with elaborately designed portal and bay

Alte Knochenhauer Straße

Alte Knochenhauer Straße

Houses dating back to the 15th century with lavishly constructed facades

Old Customs and Landwehr-Militia Building

Old Customs and Landwehr-Militia Building

It is a late example of the great expertise of the Braunschweig Fachwerk craftsmen which gave this Hanseatic city its character from the 15th to the 17th century.

Alte Waage (Old Scales)

Alte Waage (Old Scales)

This weighing and storage building of the purlieus Neustadt dating back to 1534 was rebuilt after World War II in its original design

Altstadtmarkt (Old Town Square)

Altstadtmarkt (Old Town Square)

There has been trading on this square for more than 700 years

Altstadtrathaus (Old Town Hall)

Altstadtrathaus (Old Town Hall)

One of the most impressive medieval building monuments

Former Sugar Refinery ‘ARTmax’

Former Sugar Refinery ‘ARTmax’

This industrial monument of a former sugar refinery from 1858 is now a creative meeting point for culture and commerce

Dankwarderode Castle

Dankwarderode Castle

This used to be the residence of Henry the Lion

Braunschweig Lion

Braunschweig Lion

Emblem of Henry the Lion and the first freestanding monument of the Middle Ages

Burgplatz (Castle Square)

Burgplatz (Castle Square)

This was the centre of power of the Guelphs in the 12th century.

St. Blasii Cathedral

St. Blasii Cathedral

This Roman three-nave basilica was built in 1173 and is the burial place of Henry the Lion and Emperor Otto IV.

Cathedral and St. Magni Cemetery

Cathedral and St. Magni Cemetery

Many of Braunschweig´s famous personalities are buried here.

Echternstraße 14

Echternstraße 14

A preacher’s widow’s house

Echternstraße 16

Echternstraße 16

This was formerly home to the Stobwasser lacquerware factory.

Eulenspiegel Fountain

Eulenspiegel Fountain

In memory of the joker Till Eulenspiegel it stands as a symbol for his indestructible and laughing acceptance of life.

St. Martini Cemetery

St. Martini Cemetery

Famous people from Braunschweig are buried here.

Gewandhaus (Cloth Hall)

Gewandhaus (Cloth Hall)

Formerly the storage and sales building of the distinguished cloth merchant’s guild it is today the seat of the local chamber of commerce and industry

Happy RIZZI House

Happy RIZZI House

These laughing and colourful towers by the New York artist James Rizzi present themselves as an accessible building sculpture

Haus zu den sieben Türmen

Haus zu den sieben Türmen

The “Haus zu den sieben Türmen” was first mentioned in 1249 – its medieval predecessor was decorated with seven small towers.

Haus zur Hanse

Haus zur Hanse

The carved wave design on the beams of this former residential and office building dates back to the year 1567.

Library of the College of Fine Arts and Design (HB...

Library of the College of Fine Arts and Design (HB...

A new library for the Hochschule für Bildende Künste was constructed out of elements from the Mexican pavilion from the EXPO 2000.

Heinrich Fountain

Heinrich Fountain

This bronze figure of Duke Henry the Lion was shown at the World Exhibition in Vienna in 1873

Herrendorftwete on the Magnitor

Herrendorftwete on the Magnitor

The house with the number 1 in Gothic design was built before 1490

Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum

Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum

Founded in the year 1754 this outstanding collection is the oldest public museum in Germany.

Behind the Church of St. Magnus (Hinter der Magni-...

Behind the Church of St. Magnus (Hinter der Magni-...

On this tranquil square a piece of the old Braunschweig has been preserved

Huneborstelsches House / von Veltheim House

Huneborstelsches House / von Veltheim House

This house is an example of the second building period in Braunschweig that was influenced by bourgeois art. Right next the house of family von Veltheim.

Inselwall and Löbbecke's Island

Inselwall and Löbbecke's Island

Löbbecke’s Island is the western part of the Inselwall park.

Jakob Bower

Jakob Bower

The Jakob Bower was built from rubblestone in 1250 and is one of the oldest secular buildings in Braunschweig.

Old Bower Hagenbrücke

Old Bower Hagenbrücke

Medieval stone building from the 12th to 14th century

Kleine Burg (Little Castle)

Kleine Burg (Little Castle)

This is one of the few preserved old streets in Braunschweig.

Riddagshausen

Riddagshausen

This district with its minster, the manor and the lake area (that was declared a nature reserve) is a graphic example of the achievements and the work of the monks.

Kohlmarkt (Coal Market)

Kohlmarkt (Coal Market)

These historical facades are reflections of a rich history.

Kröppelstraße

Kröppelstraße

This library of the Andreas Church that was completed in 1422 is an impressive example of redbrick Gothic architecture.

Leisewitz House

Leisewitz House

This was the residence of the playwright Johann Anton Leisewitz for many years

Lessing Monument

Lessing Monument

bronze-cast memorial statue

Löwenwall and Obelisk

Löwenwall and Obelisk

This 22 metres high obelisk reminds us of the Dukes Karl Wilhelm Ferdinand and Friedrich Wilhelm.

Magniviertel (Magni District)

Magniviertel (Magni District)

Delightful little alleys with pretty half-timbered buildings give this historical district a cosy atmosphere

Marien Fountain

Marien Fountain

A unique example of late Gothic craftsmanship from the year 1408

Martino-Katharineum

Martino-Katharineum

This oldest school in Braunschweig has its roots in the Latin schools Martineum and Katharineum that were founded in 1415.

Michaelis Hof (Michaelis Court)

Michaelis Hof (Michaelis Court)

This court highlights the romance, nostalgia and real craftsmanship of this medieval city district

Neustadtrathaus (New Town Hall)

Neustadtrathaus (New Town Hall)

The ‘Princely Assembly of the Schmalkaldische Alliance’ that took place in 1538 was one of the highlights in the history of this building.

Othilien Quarter, Ägidienstraße

Othilien Quarter, Ägidienstraße

Only the house Ägidienstraße 5 remains of this modest quarter with its densely packed half-timbered buildings

Ottmer Building – Old Railway Station

Ottmer Building – Old Railway Station

The first German State railway from Braunschweig to Wolfenbüttel left from this station.

Prinz-Albrecht-Park

Prinz-Albrecht-Park

the Prinz Albrecht Park is an official landscape conservation area.

Quadriga

Quadriga

On the portico of the recently rebuilt Ducal Palace you find Europe’s biggest quadriga with the town goddess Brunonia as the charioteer.

Rathaus (Town Hall)

Rathaus (Town Hall)

This sign of municipal self-government was built in Neo-gothic style in 1894

Equestrian Statues

Equestrian Statues

Carl Wilhelm Ferdinand of Braunschweig (1735-1806), Duke of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel and Friedrich Wilhelm (1771-1815), Duke of Braunschweig and Lüneburg in front of the Ducal Palace

Residence Palace

Residence Palace

This residential palace of the Guelphs was reconstructed in its original location and in its original size using old design plans and historical photographs

Ritter St. Georg

Ritter St. Georg

One of the most significant fullypreserved semi-timbered houses in Braunschweig.

Salve Hospes House

Salve Hospes House

Built in 1805 by Peter Joseph Krahe this building is nowadays used for art exhibitions

Column ‘2000 years of christendom’

Column ‘2000 years of christendom’

This nine metre high bronze column depicts the history of Christendom by combining many single sculptures.

Schloss Richmond (Richmond Palace)

Schloss Richmond (Richmond Palace)

In the south of Braunschweig, in Wolfenbütteler Straße, there is a historical gem: Richmond Palace and its grounds, the former retreat of the Duchess Augusta (1737/1780-1813).

Spohrplatz 7

Spohrplatz 7

Birthplace of the composer Louis Spohr.

St. Aegidien

St. Aegidien

House of worship of the former Benedictine order.

St. Andreas

St. Andreas

Highest church tower in the city

St. Bartholomäus

St. Bartholomäus

St. Bartholomäus was built as a parish church for the old town which had been extended toward the north at the end of the 12th century.

St. Katharinen/Hagenmarkt (Hagen Square)

St. Katharinen/Hagenmarkt (Hagen Square)

The parish church of St. Katharinen towers over Hagenmarkt.

St. Magni

St. Magni

The name Braunschweig (Brunesguik) was first mentioned in documents in this church

St. Martini

St. Martini

This church was built as the parish church of the purlieus Altstadt in the 12th century.

St. Michaelis

St. Michaelis

The Church of St. Michael, which was consecrated in 1157, was a parish church within the Old City district.

St. Petri

St. Petri

This church has been rebuilt several times after numerous fires.

St. Ulrici-Brüdern

St. Ulrici-Brüdern

Former monastery of the Franciscans

Staatstheater (State Theatre) of Braunschweig – Ci...

Staatstheater (State Theatre) of Braunschweig – Ci...

Lessing’s ‘Emilia Galotti’ and Gothe’s ‘Faust I’ had their world premieres here.

Municipal Museum (Städtisches Museum)

Municipal Museum (Städtisches Museum)

The Municipal Museum was founded in 1861.

Gieselerwall City Wall

Gieselerwall City Wall

These nearly 5 metres high wall remains were part of the oldest fortifications of the city

Stechinelli House

Stechinelli House

Francesco Capellini, also called Stechninelli, built this house in 1690

Stiftherrenhäuser (Canon’s Residences)

Stiftherrenhäuser (Canon’s Residences)

These canon’s residences were built in the 15th century by the monastery St. Blasii

Hutfiltern and Damm

Hutfiltern and Damm

Felt hat (‘hut’ in German) makers gave this street its name

Synagogue

Synagogue

This synagogue in Knochenhauerstraße was inaugurated in 1875

Theatre Bridge

Theatre Bridge

At night time over 400 little lights bath this bridge in a red and yellow glow.

Viewegsches Verlagshaus (Vieweg Publishing House)

Viewegsches Verlagshaus (Vieweg Publishing House)

This old publishing building now hosts the Braunschweig State Museum.