This university received its name 'Carolo-Wilhelmina' from its founders, the Dukes Carl and Wilhelm von Braunschweig-Lüneburg. The foundation was laid with the Collegium Carolinum (college) - a new building institution centererd somewhere between an academic high school and a university. Besides humanities and the 'beautiful arts' mathematics are also taught. This makes the Technische Universität the most established and traditional university in Germany.
In the year 1862 the college is being renamed 'Polytechnische Schule' (poly-technical college) and academic training takes place in 8 technical and natural science subjects. The poly-technical college is then called 'Herzogliche Technische Hochschule Carolo-Wilhelmina' (Ducal Technical College Carolo-Wilhelmina) from 1878 onwards. After a faculty for humanities and social sciences was added its name changed to Technische Universität in 1968.
Home of the Carolo-Wilhelmina is the city of Braunschweig, the historical and traditional 'City of Science' in the centre of Europe's 'hottest' region for research.
The TU Braunschweig with its 120 institutes offers excellent conditions for future orientated research and teachings: engineering and natural sciences are the academic core subjects and are closely linked with economics, humanities and social and educational sciences. Students have the choice between approximately 60 different degree courses and numerous extension courses and options.
The TU Braunschweig is amongst the top-ranking German universities for third-party funding - proof of the university's pronounced strength in research.
The TU Braunschweig is a member of the association of leading technical universities in Germany 'TU9 - German Institutes of Technology' and with the Universities of Hanover and Clausthal forms the organisation of technical universities in Lower Saxony (NTH).