- A 2/E 30 Berlin Ruhr Area (Ruhrgebiet) (presently undergoing construction for increase to 6 lanes)
- A 39 Wolfsburg-Braunschweig-Salzgitter with direct access to the A7/E4 in the direction of Frankfurt am Main/Munich
- A 391 city motorway / west express-way
- A 392 city motorway /north express-way
- A 395 Braunschweig-Harz (-Halle/Leipzig)
These roads provide 18 points of access within the city area.
- B 1 from Berlin to Dortmund
- B 4 from Kiel to Nuremberg
These are the most important of the five federal roads which cross or end in Braunschweig.