The Löwenwall was known as “Monumentplatz” until 1904 and dates back to the construction of the town’s wall ring from 1805 to 1831 by Peter Joseph Krahe. It was installed in place of a Baroque bastion and was inspired by a Roman circus. The 22-metre-high obelisk is a memorial to the Dukes Carl Wilhelm Ferdinand and Friedrich Wilhelm, who fell in battle against Napoleon.
Explanations and hints
- Braunschweig Stadtmarketing GmbH/Gerald Grote