DE

Aegidien District

Legend: 1. Spohrplatz / 2. St. Aegidien / 3. Leisewitz House / 4. Othilien District – Ägidienstraße

In the centre stands Aegidien Church, formerly the house of worship of the Benedictine monks of 1115. North of the church but still on the ground of cloistral immunity the Aegidienmarkt was built as the market square of the medieval purlieus Altewiek. Over the years Ägidienstraße, Spohrplatz, Mönchstraße and Hinter Ägidien were covered with residential buildings of mainly petit bourgeois design. Today the preserved and very varied buildings in these small alleys and around the little squares define the special atmosphere of this district.