A city fire in 1278 destroyed the Romanesque church of the Benedictine Abbey of St. Maria and St. Aegidius founded in 1115. The choir of the new Gothic building is the sole example of Gothic cathedral architecture in Braunschweig, whereas the nave of the church was conse-crated in 1478. In the Romanesque east wing (12th century), there are the registry, charter house, parlatorium (speaking hall), refectory (dining hall) and the remaining part of the cloister (State Museum).
Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum – Standort Former monastery of St. Aegidien
The venue at Hinter Aegidien is due to re-open in December 2021 with a new permanent exhibition on Jewish history and culture in Lower Saxony.