The former church of the old lord’s village of Brunswiek was consecrated in 1031. The first mention of Braunschweig itself was in this consecration document. From 1252, building work was performed on a new hall church. It was badly damaged in 1944 and reconstructed in a form fitting to the time. The glass windows by Gottfried von Stockhausen are particularly worth seeing. They show the Children of Israel crossing the Red Sea and the sculpture “Der Rufer” (“The Caller”) by Bodo Kampmann.
Explanations and hints
- Braunschweig Stadtmarketing GmbH/Gerald Grote