One of the best preserved examples of stone architecture in Braunschweig from the 17th century is the remains of a residence at Reichstraße 3. It was constructed by Braunschweig citizen Georg Achtermann and his wife Lucia von Strombeck between 1626 - 1630 and made use of an older portion of an existing wall. Above the ground floor and the first floor, which are decorated with a richly decorated portal and an opulent oriel, the half-timbered second floor (which was destroyed during the Second World War) was rebuilt more simply in stone. Ulrich Stamm signed and dated his work as Master Builder. The year 1630 on the portal and in the form of an iron implement provide confirmation of the date. The portal illustrates through its figures the allegories of strength and abstinence (caryatids on the sides) and of love, faith and hope on the gable in between the double coat of arms of the couple. The figure of St. George can be seen on the oriel. Portal, oriel and window frames are richly adorned with ornamentation and fittings in a transition from the North German Late Renaissance style to Baroque.