Menu and Search (german)

Braunschweig Lion

slide show (4 images)

Henry the Lion erected the bronze-cast lion statue in around 1166. It was originally plated with gold. The lion was a depiction of Henry’s power and jurisdiction. This highly regarded Romanesque sculpture became a symbol of Braunschweig. The original can be admired in Dankwarderode Castle.

Contact

Burglöwe auf dem Burgplatz  (Braunschweig Stadtmarketing GmbH/Gerald Grote)
Burglöwe
Burgplatz
38100 Braunschweig