Menu and Search (german)

Gewandhaus (Cloth Hall)

slide show (3 images)

Braunschweig experienced a period of economic boom as a hub between key trading routes and as a member of the Hanseatic League from the 13th century. The “Gewandhaus” was first documented in 1303: as a warehouse and trading place for “cloth cutters”, the most distinguished guild in the old town. The restored east gable, originating from 1590 and rebuilt between 1948 and 1950, is the most significant work of Renaissance architecture in Braunschweig. The plainer west façade shows a portal and peak-arched windows from medieval building times. The building is now home to the Chamber of Commerce.

Contact

Gewandhaus  (Stadt Braunschweig/G. Rothe)
Gewandhaus
Altstadtmarkt 1
38100 Braunschweig