From 1299 onwards, this building served not only as the meeting place for the council and the citizens of one of Braunschweig's five districts, but also functioned during the Middle Ages as a central town hall for a common body of all of the districts ("Küchennrath") . One highpoint was in 1538 when the building was considered worthy of receiving the Noble's Council of the Schmalkaldische Alliance. Major remodeling took place between 1773-1786. In 1944, portions of the building were destroyed. Thanks to the personal efforts of Braunschweig Honorary Citizen Dr. Arthur Wiswedel, reconstruction of this historical building was undertaken in 1974.