This museum opened in 1906 and focusses on paintings and graphics from the 19th century, Braunschweig art handicrafts and the history of life in the Braunschweig region. One particu-lar attraction is the impressive atrium with wall paintings illustrating the history of the city. The core of the collection of paintings was formed by the paintings from the Braunschweig Art
Association founded in 1832. The city history section can be found in the Altstadtrathaus (Old Town Hall).