The name "Damm" comes from an old street connecting the Old City (Altstadt) and Altewiek over the Oker River. There has been evidence of development here since the early 14th century. The Hospital der Alexienbrüder zur Krankenpflege (Alexien Brothers Hospital) was built on this street during the year of the plague 1472. The "Hutfiltern" street extended the connection to the Coal Market. Felt hatmakers, who gave the street its name, began settling here in the 14th century. This is presently one of the liveliest areas of the pedestrian zone. It is characterized by buildings of up to five stories in new Renaissance, historical half-timbered, moderate Jugendstil and Neoclassic styles. The ground levels of the rows of houses have been remodeled recently.