A synagogue which was consecrated in 1875 with a ceremonial service used to be located on the Alte Knochenhauerstraße. It was destroyed in 1938 during government-ordered riots against Jewish shops and institutions. After it was demolished in 1940, it was replaced with a concrete bunker. The Jewish Community Centre, located directly beside the synagogue, still exists today. A memorial plaque was donated by the citizens of Braunschweig in 1975 in remembrance of the 100th anniversary of the consecration of the synagogue.