The “Altstadtrathaus” (Old Town Hall) is among the most significant medieval town halls in Germany. The oldest parts of the building originate from the 13th century. The “Braunschweiger Elle” (early measurement standard) fixed to the wall of the Altstadtrathaus is 57.07cm long and was provided to assist traders of cloth. In the gothic alcoves from the 15th century, there are nine sculptures of rulers with their wives. Today, the Municipal Museum presents collections of historic artefacts from the town in the Altstadtrathaus. In the Old Town Hall, a large wooden model shows the city as it was around the year 1600.
Explanations and hints
- Braunschweig Stadtmarketing GmbH
- Braunschweig Stadtmarketing GmbH/David Taylor
- Foto: Braunschweig Stadtmarketing GmbH/David Taylor