The “Altes Zoll- und Landwehrhaus” originates from Rüningen and was built there in 1643. It was dismantled in the years 1948 to 1950 and rebuilt at the cloth hall (“Gewandhaus”) in an altered form. The building is reminiscent of the row of half-timbered (“Fachwerk”) houses at the cloth hall which were destroyed in 1944. It is a late example of the great expertise of the Braunschweig Fachwerk craftsmen which gave this Hanseatic city its character from the 15th to the 17th century.
Explanations and hints
- Braunschweig Stadtmarketing GmbH/Gerald Grote
- Stadt Braunschweig/G. Rothe