The Vieweghaus was built between 1799 and 1804 and was a residential house and publisher’s premises until 1976. It is one of the most important examples of classicist architecture from around 1800. Today it is home to the State Museum of Braunschweig. A permanent exhibition documents the history of the Braunschweig region from early history through to the present day. High-ranking topical exhibitions complement this.
The Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum is being restored. The State of Lower Saxony will invest 47.5 million euros to secure the future of this tradition-steeped history museum. The main venue, the Vieweghaus on Burgplatz, is expected to closed until 2027. Special exhibitions will take place in various different locations in the Brunswick area.
The museum has artefacts on display at other locations such as the exhibition centre “Hinter Ägidien”, in Wolfenbüttel and in Bortfeld.