Bandung, Indonesia – The Java Sea and the Indian Ocean
Bandung, known as “the city of flowers”, is situated on a plateau, some 700 meters above sea level, surrounded by mountains. Hence the name Bandung, which used to indicate “dam”. Bandung is now the capital of the province of West Java and, with a population of two and a half million people, the cultural center of the Sunda region.
Since 1596, Bandung's history has been strongly influenced by the colonial rule of the Dutch, which lasted until 1948. During this time, the Dutch quickly pushed forward the city's development and brought European influences to Bandung early on.
At the beginning of the 20th century, Bandung was known as “the Paris of Java”, because rich Europeans living there demanded a modern lifestyle and shaped the appearance of the city. This is how the splendid “Braga Street” was created, Indonesia's largest shopping street.
Today, Bandung continues to offer its population excellent opportunities for shopping in modern centers and on traditional markets.
The first contacts to Bandung were initiated by Professor Georg Eckert, the then director of Braunschweig's International School Book Institute, on the occasion of the first German-Indonesian Historians' Conference of the German UNESCO Commission. The cities signed a twinning agreement on 24 May 1960 – the first between a German and a Southeast Asian city.
In 1985, an official partnership was established between the Institute of Technology in Bandung and the Technical University of Braunschweig, followed two years later between the art colleges of both cities. These cooperations are still maintained today through regular student exchanges.
To learn more about the current activities with Braunschweig’s twin city, please click here:
In Braunschweig the Deutsch-Indonesische Gesellschaft Niedersachsen e. V. (German-Indonesian Society of Lower Saxony) offers events such as slide lectures and concerts. Click here for more information: