This classicist residence palace was built between 1831 and 1841 according to plans by Carl Theodor Ottmer. Following severe war damage, it was pulled down in 1960. In 2006, the main façade including the front palace rooms was rebuilt, integrating 600 original parts. The reconstruction was carried out on the basis of the original plans and photographs. The building accommodates the city library, archives and the Schlossmuseum.
On the ground floor of the north half of the residence palace, there is Braunschweig’s Schlossmuseum. The original 19th century furniture, paintings and artworks give visitors an impression of the history and furnishings of the former residence and of court life. The most significant artefact is the largely reconstructed throne room, which was originally located on the first floor.