Braunschweig was once a Hanseatic city and was a flourishing trading venue as early as the Middle Ages. What significance did the city have at that time? What commodities were being traded? And what do we know about the Braunschweig merchant families? Numerous testimonies of the Hanseatic period can still be found today in the cityscape. The history of the buildings and the streets as well as the narratives concerning the people conveyed during this guided tour provide a vivid impression of the Hanseatic City of Braunschweig.
The guided tour begins at the Alte Waage, the former storage and weighing house in the Neustadt. The journey continues past mediaeval red-brick buildings and centuries-old half-timbered houses. At the Burgplatz you will see a number of original preserved houses and façades, on which you can discover numerous astounding details. Through the pedestrian zone and across the Kohlmarkt, the tour route leads the way to the Gewandhaus, the trading and storage house for the cloth merchants. The tour ends at the Altstadtmarkt, where a whole series of striking architectural witnesses to past times can be seen, such as the Altstadtrathaus (Old Town Hall) and the Martini Church.
Organizer: Braunschweig Stadtmarketing GmbH
Note on the current situation:
City tours can take place again from 26 May. Bookings are possible as of now.
For contact tracing purposes, we would like to ask you to name all participating persons and associated contact details when booking.
The following conditions apply for the execution:
- Presentation of a negative test result, not older than 24 hours ( self-tests or handwritten confirmations are not sufficient) or presentation of proof of recovery or complete vaccination.
- Sufficiently large distances must be kept during the tours, and a mouth-nose covering (FFP2 or surgical mask) must be worn.
- All persons must identify themselves to the tour guide before the tour begins.
- on request
- Meeting point
- Alte Waage (see city map below)
- Length of tour
- approx. 1,5 hours
- Price groups
- 90 € up to 15 people in a group